Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving Day is a jewel, to set in the hearts of honest men; but be careful that you do not take the day, and leave out the gratitude. ~E.P. Powell

'TIS THE SEASON....for what? For eating turkey until you go red in the face and can't move?  Yes, it's Thanksgiving Eve! In not much more than a month, Christmas will also be upon us. What are you looking forward to tomorrow? What is it that you think of during this time of year? Food, family, PRESENTS??? But what is this time of year really about? For me, it should be about love, family, and service. Just look at the name...Thanksgiving....we should really be giving thanks for all the wonderful things in our lives. My choral director challenged each of us to take a minute and just write down a few of the things that we are thankful for. I think this is wonderful advice for everyone.  Too often, we focus on the things that are going wrong in our lives rather than thinking of all the great things we have. Lately, I have been extremely guilty of this very thing. I've been too caught up in things that aren't going so well, that I have failed to realize all the amazing things right in front of me.  Although it's annoying, every time the sun comes through my window and wakes me up in the morning is a miracle. It's the little things like this we don't even notice until we don't have them anymore.  I'm not saying that the sun is going to stop rising anytime soon, but there are plenty of things like this to be thankful for.  So right now, I'm going to take my directors advice and list some of the things that I am thankful for.  I'm so so so thankful for my family and friends.  They are beyond amazing.  I'm thankful that I have a place to live and food to eat. And I'm thankful for music, and the difference that it makes in my life each and every day.  These are just a few things, but I challenge all of you to do the same.  When you think of all your blessings, there isn't time to think about your troubles.  Also, this should be a time for service.  There are some many people out in the world that aren't as fortunate as you.  Help them out this Holiday Season.  Show the world what this time of year is really about.

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.  ~John Fitzgerald Kennedy

No comments:

Post a Comment